Saturday 30 March 2013

"Oh figli...Ah, la paterna mano"


O figli, o figli miei!
Ah sons, ah sons of mine
Da quel tiranno tutti uccisi voi foste,
You all were killed by that tyrant,
e insiem con voi la madre sventurata!
and with you along, your unfortunate mother!

Ah, fra gli artigli di quel tigre
Ah! I let into the claws of that tiger
Io lasciai la madre e i figli?
the mother and her sons!

Ah, la paterna mano non vi fu scudo, o cari,
Ah! The paternal hand didn't defend you,my dears,
Dai perfidi sicari che a morte vi ferîr!
from the hired ruffians that wounded you to death!

E me fuggiasco, occulto voi chiamavate invano
And you looked in vain for me, a concealed fugitive,
Coll'ultimo singulto, coll'ultimo respir.
with your last sob, with your last sighs.

Ah! trammi al tiranno in faccia,
Ah! Bring me in front of that tyrant,
Signore, e s'ei mi sfugge
Lord, and if he escapes from me
Possa a colui le braccia del tuo perdono aprir.
may I offer him to Your forgiveness.

***

Character: Macduff, a Scottish noblememan (lyric tenor)
Setting: The border between England and Scotland
Synopsis: Macbeth has killed Macduff's children and wife. Macduff, immensely saddened by this news, laments his children's death with this aria.
Opera: "Macbeth"
Music: Giuseppe Verdi
Libretto : Francesco Maria Piave

No comments: